Saturday, July 2, 2022

TWO REVOLUTIONARY ICONS

In my mind, there are two iconic, revolutionary hihat models in modern cymbal history. One is the Avedis Zildjian New Beat. It debuted in the early 1960s, was the first to pair a medium top with a heavy bottom, and became the defacto standard for hihat sounds. I first heard one up close from a US Navy show band at UP Abelardo Hall, and immediately fell in love. It had a distinct "chiff" sound when pedaled and buttery sustain when half-open. I saved up all my gig money and eventually got them in 1975 from Salonga's Music Cubao for 650 pesos, a princely sum at the time. Based on info in black.net.nz, mine are a late 1st generation version from the early 70s. This was just before Zildjian started making cymbals heavier to serve the rock music market, and when the variances in weights within a model was widest. Mine had a particularly light top weighing in at only 782 grams, and the bottom at 1223 grams. This combination made them sound more airy than all other New Beats I had played on backline kits. They originally came with a trendy sticker and ink labels indicating which was the top and which was the bottom. The sticker has long disintegrated from wear, and all that is left of the ink label is this vague outline in the inside of the bottom hat. But graphics aside, I have been perfectly content with the sound and feel, for they were everything I needed and wanted. 


The second icon is the Paiste 2002 Sound Edge. Introduced in the early 1970s, this uses a bottom with rippled edges which prevents airlock, creates a firm "chip" sound when pedaled, and an aggressive sustain when half-open. Unfortunately, they have not always been freely available locally, and were so expensive I couldn't afford them when I was younger. Heck, I can't even afford them brand new now either. So when a pair popped up this past week in the FB Marketplace for less than half the going rate of a used pair, I got curious. What would it be like to have both New Beats and Sound Edges? Adding to the allure was that these are coveted vintage "black label" 2002's. Resistance proved futile, and I grabbed them immediately. The serial numbers revealed the production dates at 1981 for the top and 1979 for the bottom. I usually prefer light cymbals, and this pair falls perfectly in the lighter side of otherwise ultra-consistent Paiste quality control, 826 grams for the top, and 999 grams for the bottom. As I had hoped, the Sound Edges are the perfect counterpoint to my New Beats.


Zildjian and Paiste eventually copied each other. Many of Paiste's hihats now bear a similar top/bottom weight ratio as the New Beats, and Zildjian created their own Mastersound series with rippled bottoms. But now I have both of the originals. To celebrate my double contentment, I spent an afternoon giving both the full spa treatment of cleaning and buffing. Hihats have not figured in new rhythms I've been working on, but I may be inspired to give them a little more attention. 

No comments:

Post a Comment