Sunday, July 10, 2022

THE DARK SIDE

This happened real fast. I saw this 20" Istanbul Agop Azure ride in FB Marketplace for only PhP 2,500 with the note "Baka matipuhan nyo mga idol ☺️🙏". An out-of-production Agop like this would easily go for 10k used, maybe more since Agop doesn't have an official dealer here in the Philippines. The picture showed the underside of the bell with Arman and Sarkis Tomurcuk's signature though, which gave it some authenticity. I suspected either the guy was desperate for cash, didn't know what he had, or a scammer. The next morning I saw another ad from the same guy quoting it at PhP4,500. That's still less than half of the going rate. Had the seller begun to realize the real value of this pie? So I took the risk and jumped on it before he put the price up again. It was all over in an hour, from inquiry, to closing the deal, to payment, to delivery. Afterwards, I asked if he was the first owner, and planned follow up questions to find out why he practically gave it away. But he never replied. I guess this will remain a mystery.

After the prefunctory sanitizing bath, it put on quite a show for me. The ping is distinct but very low pitched, the lowest of all my ride and crash-ride cymbals. The wash is also the lowest, and the bell is the smallest of all my Turkish-style cymbals. It weighs only 1976 grams, the lowest I've read of others on the web. I don't know why, but I almost always end up with the lightest cymbals in the model, either by choice or by chance. 

This is the closest I’ve got to a "dark" ride like "old K's". I've been practicing jazz riding last week alternating between my 22" A Zildjian and 22" Paiste 2002 China set up. What will having three rides set up be like? Stay tuned. 



No comments:

Post a Comment