Friday, June 24, 2022

MY 10" JOURNEY

I’ve had a couple of 10” snares. The first was a Pearl Short Fuse , which was replaced by a Pearl Firecracker. While the metallic, ringy, rambunctious Firecracker was a blast to play, I missed the Short Fuse's happy wooden pop. 

A few days ago a mint condition Pearl M1060 “Popcorn” 10" x 6" snare showed up on the Facebook Marketplace going for half the price of a new one. This is the most expensive 10” model in Pearl’s current lineup. The 6-ply maple shell, 2.3mm Superhoops, and Masters lugs scream quality. I messaged the seller asking to trade with my Firecracker. No go. I asked for a discount. No go again. When he said he had another inquiry on the line, I jumped. Down payment that night, then balance the next day upon pickup? Deal! The seller tempted me with an extra soft case and I bit. Full payment and courier pick up followed the next morning. 

When it arrived and without tuning, it sounded like a timbale. All drum and no snare. After fiddling around, I found the snare wires only respond within a narrow range of tightness. This is unlike any other snare I’ve ever had. But once it’s dialed in, the characteristic happy pop of a wood snare is joined by a slight throatiness due to the added depth, and is focused due to the maple shell and heavier 2.3mm hoops. I put on a new Ambassador coated batter and Puresound Blaster 10" 16-strands. Perfect!

The Firecracker is on sale now that this Popcorn has taken its place.  I usually say “never say never”, but this may just be the last stop on my 10” journey. 

--------------------

UPDATE 1

The Firecracker got sold to a musician wanting a snare for his 5-year old nephew. Cute :-)

----------------

UPDATE 2

I changed the Aquarian snare side to an Evans Snare Side 200. The drum now has a ring, something I look for in a snare sound. 


No comments:

Post a Comment