Monday, November 27, 2023

SUPRA!

 


Supra: derived from Latin supra "above, beyond"

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/supra


Until now, the one unrepresented material in my snare collection was aluminum. It's not something that bothered me though. I was perfectly content because brass, steel and woods present enough variety for me. But when this turned up from one of my regular drum sellers, I couldn't resist. Supras are legendary classics, touted as the "most recorded snare drum in history", and the choice of rock luminaries like John Bonham. While their sound hasn't changed, old ones show signs of age in the form of pitting. This is when the aluminum corrodes under the chrome plating, and shows up like acne. This one had to be brand spankin' new because the shell looked to be in immaculate condition, and it had a new P88 throw off and butt plate. I'll never know how the seller got the price down for such a new drum, but all I cared about is that I could afford it. 

When I got it, it was indeed in perfect condition. Lucky, JB music in Megamall finally got a shipment of new 14" drum heads, so it now has an Ambassador Coated batter and Evans Hazy 300 reso. I whipped out my mics, recorded some demo tracks, and confirmed that aluminum is every bit as well behaved under microphones as everyone says it is. It came with lug gaskets, which is a hotly debated topic in drum discussions. I like what I hear now, and am lazy to take them off. So they'll stay on for now.  I wouldn't take it to a live, much less unmic'd gig, as brass would project to the audience better. But for recording, this is most likely THE ONE.  

This is my third Ludwig snare, and the first that I didn't have to change the throw off. What a luxury. 

No comments:

Post a Comment