Wednesday, January 23, 2019

CRAZY-BOINGY-GONGY-TRASHY-DARK

Earlier this month I saw a pair of these Silken Trois Thin Ride 20"s at a local music chain for the list price of PhP 9,990.00. They had the same basic ugly-looking, crazy-boingy-gongy-trashy-dark sound as my other Trois cymbals, but was a better alternate ride than my 20" crash because it had a higher ping, and had the same roaring wash as my 16" crash. While I passed on them because I'm a cheapskate, I told the salesperson that I'd get one if they dropped the price by half.

My wish came true a few weeks later when the store FB page announced that all Silken cymbals were discounted by 50% (PhP 4,995.00). They had two available. The first one had a higher ping, a relatively focused wash that went on forever, and a hum that lasted even longer. The second had a lower ping, and a very scattered but shorter wash and hum. Also, I just noticed last weekend that my two Trois crashes had spots with slightly different "pitches" when played softly with mallets, as much as a major 3rd. I checked this out on these rides and the same was true. Apparently, the hammering is not even, hence the intervals. It was a good thing that I was the only customer in the store so it was quiet enough for me to really hear every little sound. In the end I chose the first, more focused one because it slotted in with my other cymbals. I have a recording session on Monday, and this will surely tag along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment